Sunday, August 14, 2011

POP

I don't like fireworks.  I think I used to once but I've never been as into it as most folks are this time of year.  The grownup in me just sees money going up in flames.  Don't get me wrong; I'm NOT Mr. Frugal (just ask Jo) but, come on!!  Why buy something that is going to last just a few seconds, possibly blow your fingers off and potentially set your roof on fire?  Then, of course, there is all the debris scattered across your yard the next day.  Funny how your neighbor can't wait to show off the truckload of illegal Chinese mortars they picked up from "that guy in Indiana/Tennessee" but he won't make eye contact with you 24 hours later when your yard/roof looks like Times Square at 12:30am on January 1st. 

Yep.  Good times.

Little ones pose a special problem.  I didn't want to ruin River's holiday by airing my disdain for fireworks so I keep that to myself but I knew at some point she would want more of a hands on experience.  Flash forward a few weeks; that time is now.  I shot down her request for sparklers but tried to ease the blow with a few packs of that ol' safe standby..

Snap-n-pops!!!

I think we found a happy medium.  For now.









2 comments:

MEMAW MARTI said...

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! I so much need this smile today!

I understand the way you feel, but, WOW, all the pretty colors :-)

Anonymous said...

I agree with just about all your feeling on the this one Rob..Glad you could find a happy compromise...Gretta